New Zealand's weather is very changeable so you need to be prepared for any eventuality. Thankfully, it's warmer up north so thermal underwear and warm hats become an option rather than a necessity. However, you still need to take the essential items listed below.
Watch the video of our Kiwi-Style Hiking packing list.
- hiking boots or shoes
- day pack
- 2-season sleeping bag
- waterproof raincoat (gore-tex or similar)
- warm fleece/wool jersey (not cotton)
- shorts for hiking (or lightweight hiking trousers)
- long sleeve shirt (for sun protection)
- 3 pairs of socks
- polypro/thermals – top & bottom (optional December to February)
- warm hat (optional December to February)
- gloves/mittens (optional December to February)
- sun hat, sunscreen and sunglasses
- drink bottle (1 litre)
- spare shoes or sandals
- insect repellent
- dry bag for clothes/valuables
- casual clothing for travel and evenings
- beach towel
Optional items (but highly recommended):
Walking poles, camera, rain trousers, flashlight/headlamp
First aid kit, drinking water, safety equipment and maps.
There is an allowance of one large pack, bag or suitcase plus one day pack.
We have high quality hiking equipment which you can hire for our Hiking Tours. Please arrange hire gear when you book. Requests for a hire equipment must be made at least 5 days before the departure date.