New Zealand's weather is changeable and we can experience extremely cold weather at any time of year, especially in the mountains. Our huts/camps vary in altitude from sea level to over 1000 metres. It is necessary to have warm clothing. Jeans are not suitable for hiking.
Watch the video of our Kiwi-Style Hiking packing list.
- hiking boots or good hiking shoes
- backpack (at least 60 litres capacity)
- backpack liner (plastic bag)
- 3 seasons sleeping bag
- waterproof raincoat (Gore-tex or similar)
- warm fleece/wool jersey x2 (not cotton)
- shorts for hiking (preferably quick-dry)
- short-sleeved shirt x2 (quick-dry, polypropylene)
- polypro/thermal underwear - top & bottom
- 3 pairs of socks (they get wet)
- warm hat
- sunscreen and sunglasses
- drink bottle (1 litre)
- spare lightweight shoes or sandals
- flashlight/head lamp
- insect repellent (sandflies like foreign blood)
- casual clothing for travel and evening
- small daypack
- togs (swimming costume)
- towel (lightweight towels are great)
- personal toiletries, medication and first aid
Gaiters, binoculars, earplugs, walking poles.
Therm-a-rest sleeping mat, tents, cooking equipment, plates/cutlery, first aid kit, safety equipment and maps.
We allow space for 120 litres per person (one large pack plus one day pack). You may be required to forward excess luggage if you exceed this. Any gear you do not need while hiking can be locked in the custom-built trailer. We highly recommend travel insurance.
*Ultimate New Zealand only - for the flight between Wellington and Nelson, the checked luggage allowance is 23kgs per person, with a carry-on luggage allowance of 7 kg.
We have high quality hiking equipment which you can hire for our Kiwi-Style Hiking trips. Please arrange hire gear when you book. Requests for hire equipment must be made at least 5 days before the departure date.